Scope of Responsibilities
The Senior Director, Hotel Operations functions as the strategic business leader of the company’s Hotel Operations. The Senior Director is responsible for directing and leading all hands-on operational needs for the hotels included under the Biltmore Farms portfolio. The position ensures Hotel Operations meet the brand’s standards, targets customer needs, ensures employee satisfaction, focuses on growing profitability and maximizes the financial performance of the division and developing positive brand and franchisee relations. Develops and implements property-wide strategies that deliver products and services to meet or exceed the needs and expectations of the brands’ target customer.
The Senior Director will supervise the activities and performance of the Hotel General Managers, Director of Sales, and Revenue Manager to enthusiastically grow the hotels and brands by improving RevPar growth, positive guest experiences, employee satisfaction and retention and overall profitability standards.
Managing Hotel Operations
- Oversees all financial aspects of each hotel in portfolio: P&L, flow through, capex, forecasting and budgeting.
- Reviews individual hotel’s performances to analyze results and implements improvement when appropriate.
- Drives the development of meaningful, achievable hotel budgets and other short and long- term hotel strategic goals.
- Sets short-term and long-range goals in tandem with CFO and General Managers to aid and achieve each property’s defined performance metrics
- Drives the financial performance of all F&B outlets via management team
- Ensures responsible financial management of assigned hotels. In partnership with leadership team, develop annual budgets to accurately forecast financial performance and to deliver financial results in accordance with those budgets
- Demonstrates and communicates key drivers of guest satisfaction for target customers.
- Analyzes service issues and identifies trends.
- Actively monitors advance sales to prevent reservation conflicts. Monitors oversold dates to ensure maximization of room revenue. Analyzes rate variance, monitors credit reports and maintains close observation of daily house count. Monitors selling status of house daily.
- Makes and executes the necessary decisions to keep property moving forward toward achievement of goals.
- Works with hotel management team to develop an operational strategy that is aligned with the brand’s business strategy and leads its execution.
- Critically analyzes all metrics (including but not limited to financial reports, Quality Assurance Inspections, Financial Audits, Associate Opinion Surveys, Employee Turnover and Employee retention), assessing actual performance to defined benchmarks, identifying variances and initiating corrective action
- Oversees implementation of sales, revenue management, and marketing programs to achieve and exceed established RevPAR goals
- Increases profitability through direct management of strategic initiatives by the General Managers
- Analyzes and synthesizes large amounts of quantitative and qualitative information and extrapolate the business and financial significance of the information.
- Ensures that all hotel operations are carried out professionally, to Biltmore Farms and brand standards, and to the highest level of honesty, integrity, and guest service.
- Identifies and implements cross-functional teams within hotel operations and other operational areas of Biltmore Farms where synergies may exist.
- Proactively identifies instances of potential fraud, waste, and abuse through data analysis using company systems and tools.
- Champions of all Biltmore Farms Standard Operations Procedures
- Ensures that all assigned assets are properly maintained and protected, and that life safety programs, Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS), and OSHA standards and practices are being enforced and followed.
- Looks for ways to improve throughput and productivity by streamlining operations.
- Reviews financial statements (e.g. P&L) regularly with GMs to ensure that key financial targets (food cost, labor, operation expenses, etc.) are being met.
- Creates and implements critical paths for operations, including budgets, operating standards, job descriptions and training manuals
- Actively seeks input for key business decisions, providing sound business advice and allocation of useful resources
Ensuring the Guest Experience
- Drives guest satisfaction by maintaining product and service quality standards
- Incorporates guest satisfaction as a component of staff/operations meetings with an emphasis on generating innovative ways to continually improve results.
- Projects and practices consistent ownership attributes which provide a high level of customer service at all points of contact.
Leading Department Teams
- Acts as a dynamic, experienced, and motivated mentor to property General Managers and their management teams; as well as all first level team members
- Mentors hotel leadership, and establishes the parameters that empower and develop managers/supervisors with the authority to accomplish the duties of their assigned positions. Prepares hotel leadership for succession through development of key identified areas.
- Performs periodic property inspections, ensuring completion of Brand and Company training programs and initiating corrective action as necessary
- Ensures that the Biltmore Farms culture and ethical core values are properly represented at all hotels and at all time.
- Monitors morale of staff at each property to ensure high retention and employee satisfaction.
- Responsible for the selection, training and development of key leadership personnel within the division and its departments
- Onboards and ensures training of any new management staff
- Proactively provides coaching and mentoring to management staff in assigned portfolio including one on ones and completion of annual performance appraisal. Works with employees to ensure career path development and future growth
- Cultivates industry and community networks to support recruiting initiatives and build team member pipeline for assigned portfolio.
- Works collaboratively with Corporate Office shared services departments (Finance, HR, Marketing, and IT) to build relationships and ensure effective, proactive communication with common end goals.
- Partners with leadership to coordinate and monitor progress of all major hotel projects.
- Actively conducts and participates in research, development, evaluation and implementation of new products, services, technology and processes to ensure a competitive position in anticipation of guest’s needs within the dynamic hospitality environment.
- Monitors capital projects and budgets to ensure hotels are meeting project deadlines.
- Performs other duties as assigned to support the efficient operation of the department.
This job description is a general description of the essential job functions. It is not intended to describe all the duties the position may perform.
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to:
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited institution in related business or hospitality management field required; AND,
- Minimum of eight (8) years of experience in branded hotels is required.
- Must have minimum of five (5) years of progressive direct hotel Operations Management
- Must have, minimum of three (3) years in a Senior Leadership experience within a franchisor environment
- MBA or Master’s in related field strongly preferred.
- Marriott and Hilton experience strongly preferred.
- Multi-property experience with diverse portfolios (e.g., Full Service, Limited Service, and Extended Stay).
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Proven Leadership skills
- Business acumen to include a solid understanding of business financials and Profit and Loss Statements
- Consistent record of meeting operational commitments
- Restaurant marketing experience a plus
- Strong analysis/problem-solving, negotiation, and influencing skills
- Ability to handle multiple tasks within a constantly changing and demanding environment
- Excellent communication (written and oral), and problem-solving skills.
- PC proficiency to include (but not limited to) Microsoft Office applications
- Ability to interact with all levels of individuals inside and outside of the company.