Join our amazing Back of House management team at Dashi! Workload of 50-60 hours a week. Daytime and evenings required.
The Dashi Sous Chef manages:
- Daily ordering not limited to produce / proteins / dairy / dry goods / chemicals
- Maintaining good relationships with food purveyors and vendors
- BOH Scheduling
- Assisting the Chef de Cuisine in maintaining a clean work environment and high sanitation score
- Training new hires in what is expected in the Dashi guest-centric attitude and culture
- Assisting the Chef de Cuisine in maintaining a positive and fun work environment for all BOH employees
- Prep cooking during prep time and line cooking during service for both dining room and izakaya
- Monthly inventory counts and inputting data entry to Excel sheets to track food and labor percentages
- Inputting recipe card and pricing adjustments into Excel sheets to track food cost
The Sous Chef’s primary goals are to:
- Manages the Dashi Excel Numbers Sheets, including:
- Monthly inventory counts
- Inputting monthly inventory counts, ingredient price adjustments, and keeping recipe cards updated
- Sales and labor cost entries
- Assists Chef de Cuisine in analyzing the COGS, food and labor costs
- Assist Chef de Cuisine in leading a staff that holds to a rigorous high standard in production and delivery of food at Dashi.
- Execute Chef de Cuisine’s menu items exactly and consistently
- Directly oversee prep and line cooks’ work to assure quality and consistency
- Work a station during service and assist in leading service
- Clear and consistent communication with Chef de Cuisine will also be necessary.
- Manage Culinary Staff
- Scheduling BOH staff
- Create a professional and positive work environment
- Intimately know Chef de Cuisine’s recipes and operations of the kitchen as a whole
- Maintain purveyor relationships and order product to Chef de Cuisine’s par list.
- Assist Chef de Cuisine in leading culinary team
- Maintain organized system for quality assurance and staff moral
- Assist Chef de Cuisine with staff development and education
Things we love:
- Employees that take pride in their work.
- Articulate, friendly, grammatically correct, and tactfully written emails and shift reports
- Working with people who do their best to give 100% everyday!
- Team members who strive to be just a little better at their job every day, and who create something incredible that they are proud of each day they come to work.
Things we don’t love:
- Employees that complain and gossip about guests and co-workers.
- Excuses for less than excellent work, or shortcuts that compromise quality.
- Inelegant, poorly designed systems.
- Inefficiency, wasted time, and laziness.
Hours and Working Expectations
The Sous Chef position at Dashi will be demanding in both hours and in organizational skill. The Sous Chef will be expected to keep up with the Chef de Cuisine’s expectations, communicate with the Chef de Cuisine about daily operations and execute the Chef de Cuisine’s vision. This is not a creative position, except as the Chef de Cuisine allows for creativity and asks for input. The main job of the Sous Chef is to maintain order in the kitchen, schedule staff for service, order product and assist the Chef de Cuisine in executing Chef de Cuisine’s menu by directly working with and supervising the culinary team during prep and working on the line during service.
Please apply directly on our website: https://www.dashiramen.com/working-at-dashi